What to visit

Palace of Labor

Description History

This sizable elegant white-and-yellow baroque mansion adorned with the arms of Nizhny Novgorod still bears the proud name of the Palace of Labor, despite the building history much older than this name. It became the Palace of Labor only in 1919, when the trade union organizations settled here, and the palace was constructed before the revolution to become the new site for the City Council (the Duma). At that time it could be rightfully named the "Palace of Disaster", as it was a surprisingly unfortunate construction project and the building often suffered from fire.

There used to be a three-storey building in stone at the beginning of Bolshaya Pokrovskaya Street, dated of 1854. The contractor in charge of this building was Pyotr Yegorovich Bugrov, the ancestor of the merchant dynasty of the Bugrovs. And the customer was the region`s governor Prince Urusov, he hastened and rushed the contractor so the stone works were performed even the days of the greatest church holidays and after the onset of frost. On the day of the Nativity of the Holy Virgin, a passer-by priest saw that people working on a church holiday, so he cursed them and the building site. In the spring of the following year the works were resumed, and when the walls began to defrost and one of them collapsed, by crushing onto the workers. The case was surely hushed up, and the construction was resumed.

The new building hosted a theater yet it did not last long, there was a major fire accident, and this was just the beginning. The building suffered from fire several times, it changed hands, and then it was finally abandoned. The grandson of Peter Bugrov by name Nikolai Bugrov bought the ruins, and rebuilt the house at his own expense in its current project. In 1897 he granted it to the city authorities on a single condition that in this building there would never be a theatre or any kind of entertainment, nor ever any trade in strong spirits. The income from this house was directed to a special charity foundation to aid to the poorest people in town. However, in 1898 another devastating fire destroyed the building to the ground. The City Council decided anyhow to revive this house gift of Bugrov, and 70% of the funds for the new construction was sponsored by the same man Nikolai Bugrov, so the building was colloquially called "twice the Bugrov`s gift."  The construction works were completed in 1904.

What to visit
Recommended by us

MITRICH is a restaurant with reputable name and friendly ambiance ideal for business meetings and dining with friends and family.

Build a route Build a route
Nizhny Novgorod State Art Museum

One of the oldest museums in Russia, the largest museum of fine art in the Nizhny Novgorod region.

Build a route Build a route
"Orlonok" cinema

To date, the cinema offers films for children and youth and specializes in art house movies.

Build a route Build a route
Aquapark "Atoll"

Aquapark "Atoll" is located in the city of Kstovo, 27 km from Nizhny Novgorod. The water complex includes several slides, as well as a hammam, a Russian bath, a Finnish sauna and a font.

Build a route Build a route
Sormovsky Park

One of biggest parks in town, 30 minutes drive from the city center.

Build a route Build a route
Chkalovskaya staircase

When you come to Nizhny Novgorod along the river, the titanic eight of the Chkalovskaya staircase is the first thing that catches your eye. Nizhegorodtsy still can not come to a common opinion - how many steps it has in it. Official guides say that 560

Build a route Build a route
Center for Contemporary Art "Arsenal"

On the territory of the Nizhny Novgorod Kremlin there is a unique space for creativity and art, where various events take place. exhibitions, film screenings, master classes, lectures, concerts.

Build a route Build a route
La Cantinetta da Roberto

La Cantinetta da Roberto  is a homey luminous proper Italian restaurant.

Build a route Build a route